Trouble with MODS from Zotero Import
I'm trying to import a MODS xml file created by Zotero Standalone for Mac 3.07 (it won't allow me to copy the About screen, sorry). I'm on a Mac running Lion OSX 10.7.4. The import mostly works, but it doesn't see certain data that's there, notably the place of publication and the date. The file didn't validate at validome.org, but it only threw four errors (example below), and I don't think those errors are the ones causing the ViewShare import to fail, especially since the markup in the attached file looks like it matches the MODS schema outlined at http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/mods-outline.html.
Just wanted to mark this as something to return to when next time someone opens up the MODS work.
I'm having the same issue-- the originInfo > place data isn't showing up at all in the import. My data looks like this:
<title>Radical Islamic Attacks in Moderate Region Unnerve Kremlin</title>
<namePart type="given">David M.</namePart>
<roleTerm type="code" authority="marcrelator">aut</roleTerm>
<title>The New York Times</title>
<url dateLastAccessed="2012-08-27 07:11:29">http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/world/europe/radical-islamic-attacks-in-moderate-region-unnerve-kremlin.html?pagewanted=2&hp&pagewanted=all</url>
This integration would be great, since we can get the Zotero directly from their API and feed it into Viewshare. So in addition to the additional date fields that we should support, more of the MODS fields need to be allowed for import. I don't mind having to do the mapping to date and location data types myself-- but I can't do that if Viewshare is discarding the original data.
Admintrow (Admin, Viewshare) commented
Ok, so it looks like Viewshare isn't picking up most of the dates in the Zotero mods records. It is only getting <dateCreated> and most of the Zotero records use <dateIssued>, <copyrightDate> and <dateCaptured>.
I have put in a ticket for the developers to think about this, but I would add that if we did get all those different kinds of dates into viewshare they would end up all being different data fields.
All this said, I think there is a very straightforward solution for you. If you just do a find and replace in a text editor and change all of the other date types to <dateCreated> they should all come in quite nicely and come in as a single date category.